Web and application development


Testing Geocoding on Android



Recently I developed an application for Android that used reverse geocoding, ie. get a human readable address from a latitude/longitude position. To test what position i got for different location and to test what addresses that translated to i developed this little neat application.

Application info and download

Application to test Positioning and Reverse geocoding (Address from lat/lng). Optionally Save results to sdcard.

Download application (.apk)

Download source-code (.rar)

Explanation of code


First off, we need to add the needed permissions to AndroidManifest.xml

The permissions are for; accessing internet which is used by the geocoder, using GPS and Network location, and writing files to SD-card.

Get user location

Getting the location of the user is done with the LocationManager and LocationListener. Start with getting in instance of the LocationManager.

locationManager = (LocationManager)

Then I start requesting location updates, we also supply which listener that will handle location events.

        0, 0, locationListener);
        0, 0, locationListener);

The listener i'm using is very simple and looks like this:

LocationListener locationListener = new LocationListener() {
  public void onLocationChanged(Location location) {
    txt_lat.setText("" + location.getLatitude());
    txt_lng.setText("" + location.getLongitude());
  public void onStatusChanged(String provider, int status, Bundle extras) {}
  public void onProviderEnabled(String provider) {}
  public void onProviderDisabled(String provider) {}

Reverse geocoding

Now when we have a lat/lng position, either from a location update or manually inputed in the text boxes, its time to do some reverse geocoding. This is done with the Geocoder class, and looks like this:

Geocoder myLocation = new Geocoder(getApplicationContext(), Locale.getDefault());
List<Address> geo_adresses = myLocation.getFromLocation(lat, lng, 1);

now check if there was a resulting address, in that case get it. And in this application I wanted to see all different address fields that returned.

  Address add = geo_adresses.get(0);
  for(int i = 0; i <= add.getMaxAddressLineIndex(); ++i){
    sb.append("AdressLine" + i + ": " + add.getAddressLine(i)+ "\n");
  sb.append("AddminArea: "+ add.getAdminArea()+ "\n");
  sb.append("CoutryName: "+ add.getCountryName()+ "\n");
  sb.append("Premises: "+ add.getPremises()+ "\n");
  sb.append("SubAdminArea: "+ add.getSubAdminArea()+ "\n");
  sb.append("SubLocality: "+ add.getSubLocality()+ "\n");
  sb.append("Thoroughfare: "+ add.getThoroughfare()+ "\n");
  sb.append("SubThoroughfare: "+ add.getSubThoroughfare()+ "\n");



I found this little application very handy to test situations that don't occur during testing at home/office or with the emulator, to see what values you can expect to get from users when the application is live.


New server and new domain

Today have been a good day, i have bought and set up a new web/database server and I have acquired the domain and directed it to the new server. As a part of this there has been a re-release of this site as the old one was down because of the old server broke.



Site launched

I'm glad to announce that this site has been launched.

This site will show the portfolio of some of my work I'm doing with design and development. You're welcome to browse and look trough my work that are on display here. Most of the work I'm doing is for myself or friends so don't expect to find any work done for any corporate or something like that =)

Happy browsing